Monkey isn't in "proper" school yet. He's not even in kindy at the moment. He was but then we had to come to Sydney for four months for Stud1's work.
But even though he's not in any form of formal education, I worry.
- Is he getting enough stimulation?
- Is he getting too much stimulation?
- Are we pushing too hard?
- Is he playing enough?
- Is he playing too much?
- Should I be doing more home-school activities?
- Should I just let him do what he wants?
- Should I be guiding him?
- Are we being too lax?
- He's not in a dance/martial arts/art/drama/gym/phonics/music class. Should he be? Which would be best? Jolly Phonics? Letterland? Gymbaroo? Gymnastics? Judo? Karate? Suzuki/Kawasaki/Samsung Method? Classical ballet? Jazz? Hip Hop? Krumping(?)
- Should we have a piano in the house - neither Stud1 or I can play but Monkey loves the sound and feel of playing our friend's one.
All of this is matched with my personal and professional view that all children can achieve their own greatness if given the support and extension they need, when they need it and that kick up the butt that most kids need at some point in their lives.
I hope that what we are doing for him and with him is enough. We may be judged as doing too little by some or too much by others but in my heart I know that he is learning, he is bright and engaged and that he is happy. And that is enough for now.