I've covered the two periods in my life where I thought it was a way out, away from the pain in 30 Days of Truth - Day 26. I've yet to quite come to terms with the fact that my father committed suicide and cut all chances at a reconciliation or understanding in that one act. But as I remind myself - it was his choice. It was not a reflection on me.
Today I want to remind myself of the things I've been told that I cling to when it gets hard. Hopefully they remind you of why you are important too - because I am by no means special or unique enough to have this only apply to me...
- Depression and Anxiety are lying whores
- You are strong enough to get past this hurdle
- Too many people love you to give up on you
- The voice in your head lies!
- The world needs you. Your world (family/friends/that guy at the cafe) needs you.
- You are worth the pain you're going through. It will make you stronger!
- You are beautiful. Flaws and all!
- You can be forgiven for anything if you are still here.
- Medication can help.
- You don't need medication for ever, just until you can maintain "okay" independently
- Some of the greatest minds suffered highs and lows
- Write it out - someone will want to know how you've gotten through today
- It's ok to have shit days
- It's ok to cry
- It's ok to say "I'm not okay"
- I love you
Be strong, be brave, ask for help! You are worth the effort to ask for help. Keep asking. Ask your family, ask your friends, ask your doctor, ask a stranger... Just ask!
0508 828 865 - Lifeline