Now a small confession to those of you who don't know me well... I am not a fan of fiddly recipes - I like simple ones and this one is just that simple! I have tweaked it slightly so here is my version.
Banana Bread Recipe
- 3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (or caramel if you aren't using choc chips)
- 1/2 cup choc chips (not buttons or drops as they are too big)
- 1 1/2 cups of self raising flour
MethodNo need for a mixer for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.
My other tweak is to bake it in a bundt pan that has had brown sugar and walnuts/pecans sprinkled on the bottom.
It tastes great warm with a cup of coffee.
Let me know if you make it and have a look at the Simply Recipes site as they are a great inspiration.